My name is Matthew Mills and my goal is to help you find your voice and full communicative power.
Communication and helping individuals discover their vocal potential has been central to my life for 30 years. Originally trained as an actor and musician at Guildhall School of Music & Drama, studying with Patsy Rodenburg, Jeannette Nelson and Annie Morrison I worked in film, theatre and television for 15 years (including roles in Men Behaving Badly, A Knight’s Tale, Wilde, Second Sight, Mike Leigh’s Topsy Turvey, Masterclass, Original Sin, The Cherry Orchard, Dalziel & Pascoe, Ruth Rendell Mysteries) before re-training to be a speech and language therapist in which I qualified in 2009 with a Distinction and research award from UCL and an MSc in Speech and Language Sciences. I am now a specialist in voice, transgender voice, and stammering.
After holding senior posts in Kent Community Health and Oxleas NHS Trusts, I am currently Lead Specialist Speech and Language Therapist and Head of Speech Therapy Service at the ‘Charing Cross’ Gender Identity Clinic, London, where I have worked with trans and non-binary individuals on aspects of their voice and communication to achieve congruence with their gender identity since 2009.
One of City Lit Speech Therapy tutors until 2013, treating adults who stammer, I continue as one of their associate therapists and have co-presented on stammering therapy and narrative therapy at international conferences such as the Oxford Dysfluency Conference.
I work not only with professional actors and performers but also use my expertise with non-professional voice users who experience difficulties with their voice. I run public speaking workshops for a range of clients, corporate and non-corporate, and help individuals discover their personal power, presence and unique speaking style.
I have additional training in psychotherapeutic approaches to help treat the psychological and emotional aspects of voice recuperation and modification, and stammering. These include cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Narrative Therapy (NT) and Mindfulness.
At Royal Central School of Speech & Drama, I teach student actors in project and rehearsal, and voice coaches on the MA/MFA Vocal Studies programme. I lecture in speech and language therapy intervention at the University of Greenwich and provide training and supervision to student, developing and experienced speech and language therapists throughout the UK and Europe.
My professional registration, memberships and responsibilities are:
- Member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) fully registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Member of Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP).
- Council Member of the British Association of Gender Identity Specialists (BAGIS)
- Chair of the National Transgender Voice and Communication Therapy Clinical Excellence Network (CEN) and member of the London Voice CEN.
- National Advisor to the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists in Transgender Voice and Communication
- Member of the World Professional Association of Transgender Health (WPATH) and European World Professional Association of Transgender Health (EPATH)
I am a qualified teacher and educator..
BA (Hons) MSc AGSM LTCL Mus. Ed cert.MRCSLT Reg. HCPC